Friday, August 28, 2009

Heddle Mania

After several readings of Deborah Chandler's description of threading the heddles, I was quite intimidated.  So many eyes, so many ends!! She does comment that it takes a lot more energy to describe than to actually do.  After getting down to it, I fumbled for a while trying to thread an end rather than a fold and finally came into a method.  I decided to not use a threading hook and just use my fingers.  Pulling over 12 heddles instead of one at a time is a much more efficient and less cumbersome process.  At this point I can also confidently say that the yellow thread I selected is not the best choice for a warp, as its been unraveling since I took it off the warping board.  This is all a learning process, so the more challenges the better.

The product will be a plain weave with 1 inch wide stripes of the yellow and blue warp (verticals) and two other colors (which I have yet to select) in the weft (horizontals), 10 inches by 2 yards long.  The warp sett is 12 e.p.i. (ends per inch).   Tying to the front and back aprons will occur later today and much to the anticipation of my studio mates, weaving shall commence very shorty.  Additionally, the product is not a "thing," its more of a learning device.  I like the way Chandler says: if you have set out to learn something, and you do, then the piece has fulfilled its function. 

2 comments: