Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Warp + Weft = Weave





Last Thursday I became a weaver in the actual sense.  Setting up for three days culminated into a truly crazy creation of experimentation. I started out doing a simple basket weave and then moved to a twill using the same yarn I had used for the warp.  This yarn proved to not be a good selection as it was difficult pulling the beater after each throw of the shuttle.  I also had a lot of trouble keeping the selvedges (the edges of the piece) even and not pulling in too much.  Controlling this is something I'm sure is acquired with more exposure.  Sadly, I also snapped three blue lines due to a snag behind the reed.  So you live and learn.  It was a really fun experience however because I soon moved on to investigating different patterns, yarn, and beating strengths.  See my latest creation below.  I feel pretty successful right now and look forward to more.  I'm really looking forward to possibly designing and/or conceiving my next piece on paper beforehand, as Anni Albers did.  From this first study I am also interested in further using other items besides yarn as the weft and just seeing what happens.  Channeling happy accidents is what I am going for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment