Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The yarn hunt

After starting the first piece, I was fortunate to have a weaving visitor (thanks to them!) stop by my studio and give me a few pointers.  Yes, the yarn was definitely wrong and this first piece was going to be the most difficult because of that.  It was relieving to learn that the next piece would be easier, but sadly none of the 30+ cones of yarn that came with my loom are appropriate for weaving!!  Argh.  They were thrown in as a late bonus, so no worries.  After hitting up my local chain craft stores, I learned that weaving yarn was not as readily available as I had hoped.  Thank goodness for the web because I would have never known about an amazing yarn store in South Tampa, Knit and Knibble.  Stopping by on Saturday afternoon, I found them swamped with knitting classes and many browsers.  Welcome to the cult of knitting!! I acquired the help of a great sales lady and was amazed at their selection of all types of yarn actually appropriate for knitting and weaving--anything from 24-26 stitches per inch and of minimum 1600 yards/pound. Please note for Christmas presents...lol.  I decided on wool and picked colors that appealed to me.  At this point, color is not a concern but rather an accent, as seen in the selection of fluorescent yellow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment