Friday, October 30, 2009

























Its about time!  After a lengthy blog hiatus due to the Black Mountain Conference and also beginning my thesis written document,--which is already 50 pages--I have begun a new piece.  I am going big or going home on this one, as the dimensions are 3'x12'.  After suggestions from my mid-term presentation and thinking about my previous smaller pieces, the techniques and different elements I am investigating deserve to be bold.  The warp is made up of natural wool and also monofilament fishing line. I measured out about 1500 yards of wool and fishing line thus far.  As expected the wool is easy to work with despite the length.  The fishing line however is another story.  Fibrous materials (most of them) in weaving are frozen in tension, creating the overall balance of the work.  The materials have a memory of their previous state and create tension as they attempt to revert to this state.  Lets just say fishing line is very stubborn or very lazy, I'm not sure which yet.   Its been doing everything but cooperate, but I am hoping that once I get it tied on, that things will come together.  This weaving is definitely about letting the materials dictate what the weaving should look like, based on their capacities or in abilities to revert to that previous state.  I will also be integrating some rolled hardware cloth to create voids in the warp and investigate if this could be a habitable architectural space.  Things that will be woven: wool yarn, fishing line, welding wire, floral wire, zip ties, and plastic bags.  I am looking into old 35 mm film, pantyhose, and a mule tape, a wire pulling material called mule tape.  Keep you posted! ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment