Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sley those reeds!

Today was quite successful and relieving at the same time. First, my portfolio was accepted into the Thesis program at the USF SACD, so that means that undertaking the study of weaving and architecture is really going to happen! Phew!
Back on the loom, I was able to select two types of yarn for my first warp and measure them out into (60) 2 yard increments on the warping board. I also had enough time to sley the yellow yarn into the reed. The process felt very natural and it seems as if I could become very proficient at it quickly. Put on some good music and sley-away. I have attached a quick video of the task, but I am in the process of posting it. I enjoy the minute-ness of working with such small elements and intricacies. I do have some reservations about the yellow yarn I selected as it seems to be unraveling. Perhaps this was not a wise selection, but this piece is just for fun anyways. Tomorrow I will tackle the heddles. They intimidate me.



No comments:

Post a Comment